Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Day 3

Sightseeing day.


And it was such a sunny and hot day that we chose to see Gyeongbokgung, one of the main and largest royal palace in Seoul. It was HUGE.


First up, changing of guards, something like that of the Istana in Singapore or that of the Buckingham Palace in London I suppose.


The walls and ceilings are so richly painted, and there were no signs of paint peeling or fading (at least, none that were visible to me).


And then it was off to lunch! The queue was so long! I was almost gonna walk away after we reached the famous Samgyetang (Ginseng Chicken soup) place near Gyeongbokgung, but being the typical Singaporean, I waited patiently in line.


So anyways, apparently everyone just orders the same thing at this place, afterall it's well known for its samgyetang.


You can't really see it, but there's short rice, a ginseng root, some gingko nuts, half a chestnut all stuffed inside the chicken. And the ginseng...I'm not sure if we're supposed to eat it, but I tried some of it and it was so soft it totally just melted in my mouth. Kind of like potato.


They also served this innocent looking small cup of liquid after you've finished your meal. I thought "could be some rinse your insides" kind of tea. Took a sip and woah, it's ginseng soju! The very essence! Naise.


After lunch, we were soooo super full we almost couldnt get up from our seats! Haha...

On the way to the subway, we saw this old lady cutting up some garlic. I didn't know garlic looked like that, with all the roots and all.


Back to Myeongdong area again.


Holly's Coffee! My 24 hour life saver!


I noticed that it's quite a common thing in Seoul to count calories when you order at a cafe.


Very refreshing yuzu slush ice with bits of yuzu - i wish i could have it now!


Street food!

No comments:

Post a Comment